Map


View Travels in a larger map

Monday 27 February 2012

It's interesting - to me it is anyway - but the selection of a sailing boat to see the world from was based on logic. No fuel, most places are connected by the sea, there is unlimited freedom of movement, it may have been twisted logic but that was it. Sarah suggested a motor-home but the discussion was not too long, if you restrict yourself to a continent and have the cash for the fuel then fine, any strong dislike or fear of the sea would probably seal the deal too.

The thing is though, that from the first time I raised the sails then cut the outboard engine on Kate I have been hooked. I don't think I'll start racing any time soon, but the moment when the engines stop and the sucksqueezebangblow rumbling behind or below you gives way to the rush of the water, the occasional creak of the rigging and flap of the ensign is describable but inexplicable. It is a magical moment filled with romance and possibilities, especially if you are master of your own vessel. People will spend their every last spare penny chasing this dragon, the true yachties supermarket isn't Waitrose, it's LIDL.

I never meant to let the sea into my blood , but I think I have.


It may well have been quoted so often it hurts, but it would appear that ratty was right when he said:




"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."

No comments:

Post a Comment