Map


View Travels in a larger map

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Belt Up


 

 
I have just had to repair a coolant hose which was resting against an alternator belt with predictable results.

 

The thing is, it was a real struggle back there to write alternator belt and not fan belt and even as I wrote alternator belt I was thinking fan belt.

 

This is despite the fact that, by my best guess, it’s 15ish years since I last changed a fan belt – when I last had a mini on the road. Since then I have removed, replaced or adjusted power steering pump belts, alternator belts, an air-con pump belt and now raw water pump belts. I even changed the cam belt on a dual overhead camshaft engine (I can honestly say that everything was crossed when I started that engine and I was genuinely surprised when it didn’t go bang.)

 

I now care for two engines with four accessory belts between them and no fans at all.

 

Did you spot that there – their real name is accessory belts in the general and whatever they spin in the specific case.

 

They’re still fan belts to me though, and probably always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment